BTE Around the World
J&J Local Partner
Advanced Sterilization Products
Center for Educational Partnerships at the University of California, Irvine – Coordinating Entity
Santa Ana High School
Santa Ana College
Santa Ana, California USA
Grant Period: 2015 – 2019
Welcome to our Community
In fall 2016, BTE-Santa Ana launched with 50 students. During the three-year program students participated in a number of activities, such as:
- Academic tutoring: Undergraduate students provided Saturday and after school structured tutoring sessions.
- Study groups: Saturday sessions also included small group study organized by subject area.
- Academic advising: Supported students in developing individual academic plans and updated monthly, complemented by personal interest inventories.
- Higher education workshops: Sessions taught students about academic requirements, choosing a major, and skills needed to be successful in college.
- Symposia series and field trips, tours and demonstrations: Students learned about college and careers through demonstrations from CSS employees, as well as college tours.
- Employability workshops and mentoring and career coaching: Students learned about career skills such as communication, responsibility and stress management, as well as one-on-one and group coaching from CSS employees and UCI undergraduates.
By the end of the BTE-Santa Ana program (June 2019), partners anticipated the following outcomes:
- 85% of graduates complete A-G courses with a C+ or better.
- 100% of graduates complete 4 years of math and 3 years of science.
- 95% of graduates identify BTE as very important to their success in school.
- 100% of graduates are admitted to a post-secondary institution.
- 60% of graduates plan to attend a 4-year institution of higher education.
- 50% of graduate plan to major in a STEM or health-related discipline.
- 90% of students exhibit improved communication and presentation skills.